Chief Master Sergeant Ryan W. Williams is the Command Chief Master Sergeant for the 163d Attack Wing at March Air Reserve Base, California. As the senior enlisted advisor, he is responsible for matters influencing the health, welfare, and professional development of more than 780 enlisted personnel. Through enlisted force engagement, he is the communication link between the commander and enlisted community, ensuring the commander’s directions and policies are carried out, and the Airmen understand and are dedicated to the mission of the command. Additionally, he is responsible for Senior Enlisted mentorship as well as coordinating with outside agencies on mission, vision, core values and commander’s intent.
Chief Williams entered the Air Force in October 1989. He graduated with Honors from the Apprentice Tactical Aircraft Maintenance Specialist Course and was assigned to the 163rd Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Squadron as a crew chief on the F-4E and RF-4C Phantom II aircraft. In 1993, he trained as initial cadre during his unit’s conversion to the KC-135, and subsequently deployed in support of Operations DECISIVE ENDEAVOR, ALLIED FORCE, JOINT FORGE, NOBLE EAGLE, NORTHERN WATCH, and IRAQI FREEDOM. In 2006, his unit became the first Air National Guard Unit to be assigned Remotely Piloted Aircraft, Chief Williams graduated the Basic Predator Sensor Operator course as Distinguished Graduate to fly combat support missions from home station. As a Career Enlisted Aviator, he has logged more than 2,000 primary hours and 400 instructor/evaluator hours, to include more than 800 combat sorties in the MQ-1 and MQ-9. During his aviation career, he has flown in Operations IRAQI FREEDOM, ENDURING FREEDOM, NEW DAWN and FREEDOM SENTINEL. In 2008, as initial instructor cadre, Chief Williams was instrumental in the establishment of the Air National Guard’s first Remotely Piloted Aircraft Formal Training Unit, and he became the 160th Attack Squadron Superintendent in January 2017. Prior to his current position, Chief Williams was the 163d Operations Group Senior Enlisted Leader, 163d Attack Wing, March Air Reserve Base, California.
1990 Basic Military Training, Lackland AFB, Texas 1990 Technical School, Shepard AFB, Texas
1992 Non-commissioned Officer Preparatory Course, March ARB, Calif., by correspondence
1999 Non-commissioned Officer Academy, March ARB, Calif., by correspondence
2006 Joint Firepower Course, Nellis Air Force Base, Nev.
2006 Predator Sensor Operator Training Course, Creech AFB, Nev.
2009 Predator Formal Training Unit Instructor Upgrade Course, March ARB, Calif.
2011 Air Combat Command Classroom Instructor Training Course, March ARB, Calif.
2012 Senior Noncommissioned Officer Academy, March ARB, CA, by correspondence 2015 MQ-9 Initial Qualification Course, March ARB, Calif.
2016 Associate of Applied Science, Air and Space Operations Technology, Community College of the Air Force
2017 Senior Enlisted Joint Professional Military Education Course I & II, by correspondence
2019 Chief Master Sergeant Orientation Course (CMSOC), Joint Base Andrews, Md.
2020 Defense Support of Civil Authorities (DSCA) Phase I Course, by correspondence
2023 Command Chief Master Sergeant Training Course, Joint Base Lackland, Tx
1. March 1990 – March 1990, Trainee, Basic Military Training School, Lackland, Air Force Base, Texas
2. April 1990 – June 1990, Trainee, Student Training Squadron, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. July 1990 – May 1993, Crew Chief (F-4E/RF-4C), 163d Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, March AFB, Calif.
4. June 1993 – February 2006, Crew Chief (KC-135E/R), 163d Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, March AFB, Calif. (February 2003-August 2003, Crew Chief, 196th Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron, Souda Bay, Crete)
5. March 2006 – December 2008 Sensor Operator (MQ-1B), 196th Reconnaissance Squadron, March Air Reserve Base, Calif.
6. December 2008 – September 2011, Instructor Sensor Operator (MQ-1B), 163rd Operations Group, Formal Training Unit, March ARB, Calif.
7. October 2011 – December 2017, Aircrew Training, NCOIC, 163rd Operations Support Squadron, March ARB, Calif.
8. January 2017 –August 2020, Squadron Superintendent, 160th Attack Squadron, March ARB, Calif.
9. September 2020 – December 2022, Senior Enlisted Leader, 163d Operations Group, March ARB, Calif.
10. January 2023 – present, Command Chief, 163d Attack Wing, March ARB, Calif.
Rating: Chief Airman Aircrew Member
Flight hours: more than 2,500
Aircraft flown: MQ-1, MQ-9
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Army Achievement Medal
1990 Honor Graduate, Apprentice Tactical Aircraft Maintenance Course, Air Education and Training Command
1991 Airman of the Year, 163rd Consolidated Aircraft Maintenance Squadron
2006 Distinguished Graduate, Predator Basic Sensor Operator Course, Air Combat Command
2014 Outstanding SNCO of Year, 163rd Operations Support Squadron
2014 Superior Performance Award, Air Combat Command, Office of the Inspector General
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Airman Basic Oct. 25, 1989
Airman Sept. 4, 1990
Airman First Class Mar. 31, 1991
Senior Airman Sept. 30, 1991
Staff Sergeant June 30, 1995
Technical Sergeant June 30, 2000
Master Sergeant Feb. 6, 2010
Senior Master Sergeant Apr. 25, 2013
Chief Master Sergeant Jan. 11, 2019
(CURRENT AS OF FEBRUARY 2023)